Uh Oh! I Am Too High! How to Manage the Effects of THC
The first part of the document started simply with a google search of the definition of “high”. Oddly enough the one that fits the best for this article would be that “high” simply means a state of high spirits or euphoria; and one step further would be to say of great, or greater than normal, in quantity, size, or intensity. It was necessary to start here, because so often, the first words that is uttered from another when we discuss Cannabinoid Therapeutics is “I don’t want to get high.”
Education is a basic part of medication administration as well as the first line of communication with patients and their families. When discussing the topic of Cannabinoid Therapeutics it is necessary to teach the medicinal value of the plant. It is easier to explain it along with other medications, that is why it is so important to have a health history of your patient. When you can treat the patient holistically, including the mind, body and spirit, the dialogue opens up.
Patients are prescribed medications throughout there lifetime. Each medication has a list of unwanted effects. For example, an anti-depressant has the potential to turn someone’s depression into mania, enhancing the psychological strength to commit suicide. An antI-hypertensive will lower a patients blood pressure, but close monitoring is necessary so that patient does not become hypotensive and start to have syncopal episodes. Then there is the pain management for patients where opiates are used to free one’s suffering of physical pain, but the addiction to the physical need of the opiates can trigger the addiction is one’s personality that they were unaware of.
Does cannabis have side effects? Simply stated, yes. The benefits of using Cannabinoid Therapeutics to treat oneself effectively is that you can learn to find your appropriate dosing calculations in the comfort of your own home and you cannot overdose. When used effectively cannabis can enhance the Endocannabinoid System by reversing the Endocannabinoid deficiency and patients start to feel “peaceful’ or “balanced’. It is important to start with low doses of THC, even as low as 2.5 mg. If over the course of treatment you feel “too high” your symptoms could be that of anxiety, panic, hyperventilation and even paranoia. Here are some simple steps that you can take to rid yourself of those unwanted negative side effects:
- Begin to ingest pure CBD. It is important to know the amount of milligrams of THC that has been consumed. Ingest the equivalent amount of CBD/THC to begin, and if in 5 minutes you do not feel any relief, continue that dose, until the desired relief is obtained. For example, 15mg of THC caused you to feel anxious and paranoid, start with 15mg of CBD, if no relief, take another 15mg of CBD every 5 minutes until the paranoia is relieved. The beauty of Cannabinoid Therapeutics is that you cannot overdose on CBD and there are no unwanted side effects of CBD.
- Go for a walk. It is very comforting to grab some ear buds, put on music that helps you change the racing thought pattern and paranoia and walk.
- Talk out loud so you can hear your own voice. Encourage yourself to stay rationale and know that this “high” and negative feelings that you have are caused from the THC. Remind yourself that you will be ok, and go back to number 1.
- Lay down and try to sleep. For some this is very difficult when “high” as the anxiety and paranoia can become very uncomfortable, and that is why it is so important to start slow and dose low.
- Write in a journal, on a piece of paper, empty those negative thoughts and feelings from your core. That negative energy may simply need to be “purged” and the THC has opened up a part of you that has the ability to recognize it now.
- Paint, draw, doodle, scribble, if art is your form of release. Creativity is enhanced at this point, and although it may feel very heavy to your soul, express yourself in art.
- Take a shower. Sit at the bottom of the shower and let the warm/hot water cover you. As the steam in the bathroom increases you can start to slow your breathing down and feel comforted by the elements around you.
- Drink water to help to stay hydrated. While the anxiety, racing thoughts, and paranoia start to consume you, you may also feel the dry mouth also and water is also another element that feeds the soul.
WITH EACH OF THESE RECOMMENDATIONS, ALWAYS USE IT IN COMBINATION WITH #1, CBD INGESTION.
Cannabinoid Therapeutics can effectively treat many ailments if used correctly and under the guidance of an appropriate medical team that has knowledge in the Endocannabinoid System and Cannabinoid Therapeutics.
a message from our sponsors
Achieve Sustainable WellnessGrace + Fame is a wellness and lifestyle company whose mission and intention is to help individuals achieve sustainable wellness, and live healthier, more balanced lives. We have brands that offer education and courses in plant centered eating, spa collections of terpene infused natural body care, and other products and experiences promoting wellbeing.
You Belong here. Join Us.
The Cannabis Nurses Network is where licensed medical professionals become cannabis medicine experts. Members get incredible benefits and unprecedented access.